Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The symposium starts

A main reason why I went to Cambodia is to attend the World History symposium on Southeast Asian history.

A symposium is a scholarly conference in which researchers present their findings to groups of their peers. The true benefits come outside of the panels when people get to meet other people who are pursuing like interests. Plenty of interesting people abound. Even though most of them teach in colleges and major universities, I enjoy putting myself in the midst of conversations and meeting these interesting people.

I attended my last WHA symposium in Istanbul, Turkey last October.

You can follow my Istanbul blog here.

About seventy scholars came for the symposium. Most are Americans, but a substantial number came from Europe and Asia.

We met as a large group only a few times. Before our first session I took this picture of one of the simple classrooms at the university that was hosting us. Many of the people in the image I got to know fairly well.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment